Andrew Chapel UMC is a small rural church with a warm and welcoming church family. Services are traditional and include a variety of musical talent. Active organizations include the United Methodist Women (UMW) and United Methodist Men (UMM) as well as an active children's ministry. Andrew Chapel supports missions locally, nationally and around the world.
In 1780 the Methodist's began meeting in a union church building called the Copp's School and Meeting House located in the community of Jackson - now Springwood - along with the Church of the Brethren, St. Mark's Lutheran and James River Baptist. On May 23, 1857, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South moved from the Copp's Union Church into a new one-room building, which was named Andrew Chapel. The land on which the church was built was given by John and Mary S. Cross. The present sanctuary is the original structure.
Sunday School classes were held in each corner of the church. The balcony served as classroom for the children and teenagers, the women met in the front, left corner and the men met in the back, right corner. During worship services, it was customary for the men to sit on the right side of the church and the women on the left.
Andrew Chapel was originally heated by two pot-bellied stoves. A room was added to the back of the church to accommodate an oil furnace in the early 1950s. The educational building was completed in the fall of 1961 with a vestibule addition in 1964. A dedication service of these new additions was held on Sunday, October 3, 1965.
Andrew Chapel continues its long tradition of an old-fashioned Ice Cream Supper now held the third Saturday of July each year. The menu consists of home cooked fried chicken and homemade desserts and ice cream, with proceeds benefiting the building fund.
The vision of Andrew Chapel UMC is to make disciples of all people by sharing faith in Christ through witness, prayer, service and worship.